Monday, May 10, 2010

Illustration Friday: "Fearless"


The Gingerbread Man was fearless…not necessarily smart.

This is kind of a 2-part post. I had playing around with this fox-like drawing when this theme came up. It immediately made me think of the gingerbread doodle in my sketchbook. However, I’m not really liking the fox and I don’t really have the time to redo them together at the moment.

The Gingerbread Man is kind of a special doodle for me. It was done on a train home from Oregon. It was my first attempt getting back into drawing several years. College had left me more frustrated and directionless, and I had done a lot of creative things, but I had set aside drawing and painting. So, this was my moment of saying “I’m just going to draw for FUN and let whatever happens happen.” It started me in a whole new direction and inspired me to consider illustration.


3 comments:

josh pincus is crying said...

the cookie guy is cool (but the fox is great!)

josh pincus is crying said...

the fox is AWESOME!

Diane Smith said...

Thanks! I was liking the fox done in graphite, but then I decided to colorize with colored pencil. The result was a muddied color and some lost details. Might be worth a re-do down the line.

Thanks for the encouragement.