Monday, February 28, 2011

A Very Worthy Recipient!

On this evening's trip to the bookstore, I was pleased that they finally had the recent Caldecott winner on the shelf!  I have to say that A Sick Day for Amos McGee is a delightful book!  It's a very sweet, sparsely worded story (in fact, a couple pages have no words at all) by Philip C. Stead.  I just LOVE the illustrations by Erin E. Stead - a combination of a little color via woodcut with just enough pencil detail (and, as you may know, I love pencil detail).  Most impressive is that the book jacket states that this is the first book she's illustrated.

Now, in my previous post I complained about the weakness of storyline that I found in a lot of children's books that I found on the shelves.  But, that doesn't mean every story has to be an intricately developed adventure.  There is definitely a place for the thoughtful or simple story.  In the case of Amos McGee, the masterful gestures and  quiet expression of each character speaks volumes.  I think it is the power of the illustrations that can make a book of few words successful.  It really got me thinking about the importance of pairing the right writer and illustrator - finding/creating the right illustrations for a particular tale.

Anyway, I had to purchase this one for my own collection - and it will be kept in a safe place until certain toddlers with crayons grow up a little.

No comments: