Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Wonderful Event...Followed By More Work...

A while back I posted about doing a design for placemats for the Royal Family Kids fundraising dinner.  That event was held last night and I was able to attend.  It was a lot of fun - outstanding food (world famous Santa Maria BBQ), interesting people, an entertaining live auction, ending with a performance by cowboy singer/storyteller Dave Stamey.  The well-established ranching community of the Santa Maria area was well represented and I guess attendance was double what it was the previous year.  Best news of all, MANY abused kids will benefit through summer camps from the funds raised at this event.


I was delighted to see that my design was used for both the placemat and the program!  Much to my surprise, an elderly couple at the next table asked me to sign their placemats - they were so cute.


Then, today, I found myself back at the easel.  Something just wasn't sitting right about the face - the eye/eyebrow placement was just a bit off from the nose which was a bit off from the mouth and chin.  I don't know if anyone else would have picked up on it, but it was sure bothering me.  So, I was compelled to fix it - which led to feeling like I ruined it - and then realizing that I fixed the proportion and perspective - only to feel like I'd overworked it - followed by prayer - ending with more dabbling and, finally, contentment.

Repainted...don't know if it's done...

Now, when I go back and look at the previous picture I posted, her face looks so obviously goofy - glad I didn't leave it like it was (and I was tempted).  I think it's OK, now.  The problem I face now is that I've made an appointment to have the painting professionally scanned tomorrow.  That means, unless I reschedule, I don't get that "live with it" time to catch any other issues I might regret.  I'd like it to be done, but...

...but, I think the face is much improved...still not sure, though...I think I'm going
to fix something else...and I did - I'll post later...




No comments: