Wednesday, April 21, 2010


Time sure goes by quickly these days! The end of the school year is closing in so we’re trying to keep on track, although spring fever is hitting us all pretty hard.

I have a confession to make…I have been cheating on this blog. That’s right. It all started so innocently. I was browsing the want ads in our local paper, and that’s when I saw it. It was an ad for an opportunity to write at home and - just maybe - earn a few dollars. Well, since I am currently unemployed and I enjoy writing, I guess I caved to the temptation.

So, I’ve been writing a few articles at HubPages to try to supplement the income…of course, it really takes time to build up any change. I’ll probably only make a dime in the end and won‘t see a cent for years…but it’s been fun.

In the course of my recent writing, I started browsing the works of a few still life artists that I like. One of them is 20th Century artist Giorgio Morandi. I first encountered his work in college, but I don’t think I was as impressed then - it was my vibrant German Expressionism phase. Morandi’s work was completely opposite of my interests at the time, but I really appreciate it now.

Perhaps in my hectic and noisy life, his still lifes are a quiet and uncluttered refuge. I like the neutral tones of his paintings and the minimal details which are so contrary to my own style. The linework on his drawings adds life - a very nice balance to what would otherwise be considered bland compositions.




Another artist whose still life work I enjoy is Wayne Thiebault. Again, I am drawn to him for his difference from my own style. I always liked the thick application of paint and his colors (or maybe I'm just hungry). I’ve always wondered how painters who work so thick financed all of that paint (at least as a student)! In college, I always worked small and thin since I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to buy more paint when I needed it.

Well, I don't post other people's work that often. My plate is pretty full at the moment (and not with cake and ice cream). Summer's coming - things will change to some degree...although my toddler is getting clingy and busy busy busy!

No comments: