Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fun with Linoleum

My new round of art classes is underway - a Christmas Keepsakes class and a Intro to Linoleum Block Printing. 

My sample print
 

The Christmas class is a lot of work because I'm doing three projects that I've never done before.  There's a certain degree of invention because I want to offer something that is unique and worthwhile (for parents who are paying for these classes).  Then, there's an element of adaptation because some of my original ideas are just too challenging for the younger members of the class (8 year olds).  I have to find a way to achieve a successful end that's "do-able" with those kids.  And, I've found that that challenge is something I enjoy - gives me something to obsess over, I guess.  And, I've got 2 girls who are all too happy to be my testers at home...


Guess you'll have to wait and see!

What are we doing here?



The block printing class is just fun.  I haven't done this in probably over ten years, and I forgot how much I enjoy it.  I had an uncarved linoleum block from way-back-when and used a sketchbook doodle to make a quick sample (the rocket shown above).

So far, in two classes, my 6 students (junior high and high school age) have practiced using the tools and pulling a print.  I know I'm enjoying it - sure hope they are, too.


Student practice

Another student practice



No comments: