|Spring flowers have already arrived.|
Anyway, didn't I say I might just tweak the painting a little? Well, that wasn't exactly true. When it came down to it, I think I tweaked it a lot. Of course, it may not look different but, with a little close observation, one might notice differences. Frankly, I became frustrated with the 2 flowers on the right - they became rather muddled by overworking with to many colors - I even completely painted out the bottom one and started over.
|I think it's done - but I'm still not happy with the leaf - I'll just tweak it a little...|
Light was an interesting challenge as I had a changing light source (a south-facing window) to my left which caused moving shadows and a secondary interior light overhead/right which created shadows of its own. I realized that I was giving conflicting information with cast shadows of the flower petals on both sides of the vase/creamer, but I liked the shapes and decided to keep them. And that's what was truly liberating about this project compared with the first one which was much more dependent on observation. For this one, I gave myself permission to use more artistic license and mostly responded to what was happening on the paper. Besides liking the shapes of some of the shadows, I also liked the orange from the flowers reflected on the porcelain surface - it wasn't nearly as pronounced in real life, but I liked it in the painting.
I still have dreams of one do doing a "quick" little still life that captures its essence with a minimum of strokes... (sigh)