Monday, October 27, 2008

Career Path - Plan B...and Other Things


I've recently discovered sites like iFreelance and have browsed some of their illustration jobs for potential shots at getting some experience under my belt. As I looked at the descriptions and deadlines, it occurred to me that I might need to rethink my book illustration plans. The few listings that were of any interest to me had 4-6 month deadlines. Those projects would most certainly be disrupted by things like giving birth to baby #4 and adding a newborn to our menagerie.

Since my other kids were getting older and more independent, I was working toward illustration knowing that I would have access to "time" more than I used to. So, realistically, I don't think I could attempt a book project for a while.

Being a children's book illustrator is my ultimate goal. But I started to think that, in the meantime, a good area to focus on a gain experience might be with greeting cards. I don't know how many people out there do that (I'd love to hear about the pros and cons from anyone with experience - what do people charge for such projects?). I was a little discouraged to think that my illustration plans would be pushed back, but this strikes me as a lot more do-able.

So, I think that's what I'll research at the moment - provided our computer doesn't die. It's behaving worse than dial-up at the moment so I'm a little concerned. I made CD back-ups of all my photos that I stored on this thing last night (just in case). If I suddenly disappear for a little period of time, then it's because I threw the computer out the window.
As for the picture above, it's just one from the sketchbook from about a year ago. I may have posted it before, but I don't remember. It doesn't have anything to do with the topic - I just don't like to post without a picture on an illustration blog. Perhaps these could be characters for some sort of greeting cards...who knows?

No comments: