Friday, January 4, 2013

Why Am I So Complicated?


I always have the best of intentions - my plan was to start working on small scale and simple still life paintings to play around and further explore acrylic paints.  I’ve been going around the house selecting objects that might make for visually interesting paintings.  As usual, as I start putting things together, a story begins to grow, more specific items are then needed, and the next thing you know I have a large-scale project in my mind!  Not only do the concepts go from simple to complex in seconds, but many of the items that interest me are very detailed.
A few of the objects I've collected for still life paintings

S-I-M-P-L-I-F-Y…why is that so hard for me.  I guess my personal challenge to myself is just to grab some basic items (nothing fancy), throw them together on a table, and see what comes out.  It all comes back to that balance I need in my work - in this case, the balance of the conscious and subconscious.  In other words, it’s time to shut off the brain a little, quit over-thinking things, and "play."

Game on...





No comments: