...Three times a lady...
First of all, I did the study on a different paper than the one I'm using for this series. It was a very smooth texture while the final has a bit more tooth. It's always a bit of an adjustment, getting used to the different result. But, the hardest part was that it was more difficult to get extreme darks that came so easily in the study because of the texture - the white of the paper shows through, lightening whatever value I put down.
I also struggled with the palm fronds, for some reason. They came together so easily in the study - not so for the drawing that followed. And then, I realized that I had really confined myself to almost only B-range pencils. I really didn't use the the lighter values that I like to use in my drawings. I flashed back to a college drawing class - I'd spent weeks on a poster-sized detailed still life and the professor commented that it appeared to consist mostly one value. When I realized that, I started erasing to see if I could fix it, and this resulted in dirty, smudgy-looking work (not consistant with the other drawing in this series and rather sloppy for the subject matter).
So, much to my chagrin, I knew that this second drawing was not a final but another study. There were elements in both drawings that I've taken and put into what will hopefully be the final drawing. This time, I've started by laying down my light values - 4H, 2H, and HB - on the palm fronds. I'll insert more dark shadows where needed, but I'm in the building of values stage. This will take some time, depending on how much time I can carve out in the next few days.
In the meantime, I will continue to chip away at the mess of toys, shoes, and family stuff that always seems to pile up too quickly. I'm teaching our writing co-op tomorrow - it's my turn and it's research paper time.