Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Camera Doesn't Lie...

Isn't that the saying?  Well, it's true.  As predicted in my previous post, a photograph brings into focus anything that isn't working in the painting.  I quickly saw problems that I couldn't quite put my finger on while I was in the process - mainly the uncomfortable position of the right arm, the awkward fingers, and the shortened legs. 

Likin' the lighter background

After working on a lot of that panel in one day, I think I was coming up with excuses as to why I don't really need to repaint anything.  But, with the dawn of a new day, all issues have now been corrected.

There's A LOT of produce in my future

I raised the arm up a little, but a simple (yet important) change was simply changing the direction of the fold shadows on that forward shoulder.  The hand came together smoothly and looks more natural.  The legs experienced a growth spurt from the knew down.

Oops!  Forgot to add the other half of his mustache,
now that the background has been lightened.

I also touched-up the background with the yellow/white mixture, so the skin tones stand out quite a bit more.

My "littlest" fan!

No comments: