Thursday, May 29, 2008

Back to the Drawing Board...

My free time was recently consumed by the chicken project, so I ended up just stepping away from drawing for a couple days. Well, OK - I doodled in the sketchbook during break at work. I was trying to think of what I wanted to do next. There are several juicy little tidbits in the sketchbook that I was thinking I'd like to make into something. And, I'd still like to pick a passage from something we've read this year to illustrate.

In the meantime, this is a drawing from several months ago done in pencil (obviously) - something a little different.


HOWEVER...the more I tried to put the chicken drawing aside, the more and more I've been thinking of redoing it. Darn - I thought it might be done! It had taken a lot of time, but I know what I would do differently - fix the sign, add some of those string lights to all of the bushes, go for a little more gradation in the sky, and I saw a photo of some neon lights that inspired me to improve on that. I had observed neon signs around town, but something about the photograph made certain elements more obvious. There's A LOT that I would do the same - it's just a matter of spending the time to do it. But, if it's gonna go in the portfolio...

So, I guess the chicken drawing was just an elaborate study after all. But then, this is how it would be if this had been a paid job (not just practice) - gotta put your best work out there.

No comments: