Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chicken Scratch

Moving forward with my “Chicken crossing the road” illustration.

So, last night at work I came across a Dorling Kindersly “Watch Me Grow” book about chicks. DK books always have excellent pictures to draw from since I don’t have any chickens lying around – at least not any that have heads, feathers, and aren’t currently frozen. I do have a mummified Cornish Game Hen from last year’s history co-op – but that’s another story.

Anyway, I spent my break doing some rapid studies of chickens in the sketchbook (shown here).


Besides that, I’ve decided what medium I want to use – sometimes that can be a tougher-than-it-should-be decision. I knew it wasn’t going to be paint or chalk pastel (grrrrrrr). But, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to use colored pencil alone (like the recent dancing fish), a combination of ink line and colored pencil, or ink with watercolor (like the Spectator Ant from earlier). After playing around with some colors in the sketchbook, I’ve decided on going with the colored pencil only option.

So, now I’ll be busy with some little studies and the final drawing.

No comments: