Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Journey Begins...


Early Sketchbook Doodle
Originally uploaded by sdzsmith
Before I even came upon the previously mentioned article, I guess I would have to credit my 12 year old son's honesty in getting me back into my art. I was going to be teaching an art class for the first time in a long time. So, with a grin he told me I'd better practice because I was out of artistic shape.

True enough. I had gotten into doing stained glass for fun after college, but I really didn't do much in the way of drawing and painting. So, I bought a new sketchbook, dug out my pencils, and figured I'd just doodle and enjoy. That way, I could just play with the materials and not worry about the subject matter.

Pictured here is one of the first pages in the new sketchbook. The doodle started with a number 7-ish grouping of lines that formed the upper right corner of the brick structure, and it grew from there. I had no idea what it would be as I worked through it, but this is how it ended up.

While it's not a perfectly "finished" drawing, it serves as a unique idea for something I could use in the future. And, it turned out to be a great review in creating value with the variety of pencils.

No comments: