Thursday, April 17, 2008

Here it is so far...and so far YUCK!

Well, I was unable to sleep yesterday morning - woke up when my husband got up for work and couldn't go back to sleep. But, that turned out to be good since I was able to spend a good hour working on my drawing before the kids woke up. It's inventory day at work, so I don't have to go in until 7:00 (and stay until midnight), so I was able to work on it even more.

I'm not sure I'm done, but I'm a little weary of working on it. I'm not really thrilled with the result - there are several things about it that make me cringe. For one thing, I'm not a big fan of the character. He's nothing I spent time developing - just a quick figure and his head is kind of flat. I don't like the mouth for some reason - can't quite figure out why. Note to self: study expressions of the mouth more.


The bottle was the original part of the doodle and it goes off the edge (which I normally wouldn't have done).

Of course, the main purpose of this drawing was to explore darker values and facial expressions, so I guess there was some success. I did learn a lot about the eyes and details that make them express surprise, and to keep a thin area of white above to show they are focused downward. That may seem pretty basic to some, but I always seemed to make the eyes of my characters focusing ahead and I didn't quite pay attention to why. So, at least I got something out of this drawing. That's what it's all about.


Oh well, the list of things to practice grows even longer!

No comments: