Sunday, April 20, 2008

The History and Science Fair...AT LAST!

I somehow survived the world's busiest weekend! I won't go into all the details, but this is my first opportunity to sit down at the computer since Friday.

The History and Science Fair took place yesterday evening - the culmination of weeks of work on projects, papers, and crafts. Still, it was a lot of fun. Needless to say, I didn't work at all on any drawing, but I'd like to share my the kids' projects.

My 5 year old daughter did her display on "Plants." Hers was the basic stuff - seeds, roots, leaves, etc.

My 9 year old daughter did hers on "Bobcats" and made a box diorama to go with it. She's very creative and crafty, so I really didn't have to help her at all. She even had birds suspended on little threads, flying across the scene.


My 12 year old son did his on "The D-Day Invasion." He's always had a fascination with different periods of military history - right now it's World War II. So, he built a pretty elaborate model out of chicken wire and plaster cloth with bunkers and Hedgehogs made out of balsa wood.

Then, our history CoOp had a display. Our group (really it's just 2 families) has been studying Ancient Greece, so we had pictures of our activities (such as our "Olympic Games") along with some of our crafts (Red Figure and Black Figure Pottery, etc.). We also had some food samples: barley stew, bread, and olives. The display was entitled "My Big Fat Greek Project" and the girls even dressed up - it was fun!

One of the things that is fun at this annual event is that each of the 22 exhibitors submitted a question for a "scavenger hunt." So, the visitors can search for the answers on each of the displays and collect a prize. In these pictures, the kids are working on their scavenger hunt questions at my son's display (the yellow one) and my daughter's display (the red one).
Just a note of interest, the little boy dressed up in the Abe Lincoln outfit spoke during the optional oral presentation part of the evening. He's only 6 years old and he recited the Gettysburg Address from memory. Apparently, he has a real knack for memorization! I was impressed! And my kids complain about memorizing the preamble to the Constitution...

No comments: